Monday 22 January 2018

Week 3: How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster


Thomas C. Foster. How to Read Literature Like a Professor. Harper Perennial, 2014 (Revised edition).

A book about reading books (is that a meta-book?). Foster explores the use of pattern, mythology, archetype and symbolism, and shows how recognising when an author is using them, and what they may mean (e.g., immersion as baptism or rebirth).


Reading a book along these lines was triggered by last year’s re-read of Pride and Prejudice, when I realised just how much I’d missed the first time round. An interesting read, and I’m glad I bought this.


This is my week three entry. It’s a little late, as I’d read part of another book when this arrived in the mail mid-week, but I thought it more important to read this.

Stats to Date


Books Read: 4

Books by Male Authors: 1
Books by Female Authors: 3

Books by Australian Authors: 2

Fiction Books: 3
Verity Books: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 49. The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett.

Terry Pratchett. The Shepherds Crown . Corgi Books, London 978-0-552-57447-1. The 41st, and last, Discworld novel, and the 5th featur...